- Marigolds are happy to grow in almost any type of soil, but they love a sunny spot best of all. Theyâ€™ll grow easily in a flower border or in pots.
- Their orange, gold and yellow flowers look like little balls of sunshine! They bloom from spring through to autumn, so theyâ€™ll cheer up your garden all summer long.
- African marigolds can grow up to 60cm tall, but fancy French marigolds are a lot shorter â€“Â they grow to about 20cm tall.
- Marigolds are a magic plant â€“ many insects and animals donâ€™t like the smell, so itâ€™s a great idea to plant them next to vegetables, like tomatoes. That way, the insects wonâ€™t nibble your crop!
- Some butterflies, however, love marigold nectar, so youâ€™re sure to see them flutter by for a quick sip.
- Farmers in America add the colourful petals of African marigolds to their chicken feed to make sure their eggs have super yellow yolks!
- In Nepal, India and Thailand, marigolds are a festival flower â€“ people decorate their homes with brilliant garlands. Why not cut some marigold flowers and make a mini garland for your party?
How to Grow Marigolds
Pick a sunny spot in your garden and grow your own gorgeous marigold flowers!
- Plant the seeds directly in soil about 1cm deep and in rows that are about 30cm apart. Make sure you pull out any weeds first!
- When the seedlings grow to about 5cm tall, thin them out, so that they donâ€™t grow on top of each other. Tall marigold plants need to be about 25cm apart; shorter ones can be about 15cm apart.
- Water them regularly to keep them happy and cut off the dead flowers â€“Â if you do this, your marigold plants will keep making new flowers for you!
Have fun in your garden, with love from the Magic Belles in Bellevue xxx