Flower Belle adores moss â€“ itâ€™s pretty and often velvety soft to touch – and it makes a very good fairy cushion or bed! Letâ€™s learn more about magical moss.
- Moss was one of the first plants to grow on planet Earth. Experts think it came from a type of water algae that started to grow on dry land, close to rivers and streams.
- Moss has no roots or flowers. It can’t grow very tall, so it grows in clumps or cushions.
- It can be found in damp, shady places, like on rocks, walls and tree trunks. Moss gets its nutrients from rain, dew, fog and the top layer of soil (if itâ€™s growing on soil).
- Mosses are like sponges â€“ they soak up rain water, which they can survive on for weeks.
- There are over 10,000 types of moss in the world.
- A patch of moss is like a mini forest, as it provides a home for many insects. Small mammals, like shrews and some birds, also use moss to make their nests.
- German fairy tales tell of teeny moss folk who live deep in the woods, close to the trees. They dress in moss to make themselves difficult to spot!
- There’s also a special type of moss known as ‘goblin’s gold’, which glows in the dark and grows near caves!
So you see, moss really is magical! Take a trip to your local park or forest for a moss-spotting session – touch it and see how soft it feels. Maybe you’ll see some Magic Belles, too! With love and magic dust from your friend, Flower Belle xxx